The hardest job you will ever love

I decided after directing a documentary on talented inner city kids last year (rymanarts.org) that I needed to be more involved with kids in my community, and that my teaching background and the fact that I grew up in LAUSD's "fine" public school system made me a great candidate for being a teacher.

Well...I knew it would be a hard job...but I honestly thought I could do a great job teaching full time plus starting an after school photography club for my eight graders, and I could still manage my growing photography business in the evenings and on weekends.

I spent a good three months straight with strep throat, the flu, and pneumonia...my personal relationships are hanging on by a thread, coffee and red bull get me through my weekend shoots...and somehow its been the most amazing year of my life.  My students are dynamic and inspiring, and I wouldn't trade my time with them, the jokes, the arguments, the learning discovery for anything in the world.  I wouldn't mind getting some more sleep and a paycheck that didn't make me laugh...but I knew this was the deal when I signed up to the world's most important job, for the world's slimmest monetary profits.  The kids, they make it worth it, and you should see their pictures, what talent!

Comments

Popular Posts